Saturday, October 19, 2013

Update - Spring Fling

I have been frantically working/planning my Spring Fling entry. Tonight I got time to photograph a few things.

My Spring Fling is a sort of flower shop. Run by an elderly lady, on the beach/waterfront. When business is slow, she relaxes on her chaise lounge or in her rocker, drinking tea.

I made the polka dot cushions for these two pieces, and added crocheted flower trims from AC Moore. The furniture itself came from ebay.




The shop is the sort of place where romantic shoppers stop on impulse to buy flowers or a plant for their sweetheart. She sells baskets, vases, flowers, plants... Whatever strikes her fancy.
 
The pink and purple flowers in the yellow stein I made from colored paper and wire, as are the white gladiolas in the bronze vase. The orange flowers are silk. I painted wooden flower pots and glued in plastic flowers from AC Moore's.
 
 
I have made a lot of paper flowers for this project. I'll post more pics when it's closer to being done.
 

 
These were mostly ebay finds. The gnomes came from DHE.

 
A Michael's hutch, painted, with tulle curtains on the doors. The baskets and pots were mostly from ebay.
 
I've been trying some new techniques. I figure there's very little chance of winning this competition (I've seen the work some of the other entrants do), so I am trying to stretch my boundaries and learn some new skills.
 
The floor of the shop is tiles. I used card stock, cut in squares, glued to the floor, and then put on several coats of Mod Podge.
 
 
Not too bad, I think.
 
 
On the windows, I made the curtains from tulle. Not sure if I like this or not, but for now, it will do.

 

The roof I struggled with. Finally decided on a metal roof. I had to use what I had on hand - I came into this project with no budget whatsoever, and compounded that by basically not being home for two months. No time, no money.

What I did was use black card stock. Glued it onto the roofs. I took the little spacer pieces from the kit, and used those on the roof between the panels, I guess you'd say. I painted the spacers black, too.

I mixed up a batch of forest green and silver metallic craft paint, and painted the roofs. Finally, I Mod Podged the roofs. I think it came out rather well.

I used spackle to make the stucco on the walls. The shop is stucco'ed, and the farmstand addition is painted wood.

Two items I was extremely pleased with:
 
I used punch needle to make this welcome mat. I designed it myself (which sounds really grandiose).



This is the piece de resistance, I think. I made the frame from coffee stirrers, paper doily, and gold paint. My brother, who is an artist, happened to be staying with me for about a week. He came home one night after a drawing session, and I jokingly suggested he make a tiny painting for this project. He took me up on it, and in about half an hour he'd done up this painting. I'd requested something kind of beachy, with flowers,   and this is what I got. I think it's really lovely. The artist signed it, and I framed it the next day. It's done in watercolors.

No comments:

Post a Comment